Our History

historical_bldg

Our Church History

1777-2011

1777 – July 20th – Foster’s Meetings were first mentioned in Methodist itinerant minister John Littlejohn’s journal.

1797 – John Foster deeded a tract of land to the Methodist Society.  Foster’s Meeting House, a log cabin, was built as part of the Fell’s Point Circuit.

1810 – Hereford became part of the newly formed Great Falls Circuit.

1824 – New deed enlarged the original tract and a stone church was built on Hereford Road near Monkton Road.

1834 – Parsonage lot was deeded and the present parsonage was subsequently built.

1843 – Baltimore Conference Minutes listed a new cirucuit, the Hereford Circuit.

1871 – Stone Church was “reconstructed” on the parsonage lot at its present location on the “York Turnpike”.

1910 – Church remodeled; added Sunday School room, bell tower and new entrance.  The two original front doors removed and replaced by stained glass windows.

1959 – December 6th – New Education Building consecrated.

1968 – Hereford Methodist Church became Hereford United Methodist Church with the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren.

1974 – Sanctuary and parlor room were refurbished and updated.

1988 – Hereford UMC “went station” – was no longer part of a circuit.

1991 – Started “Hereford Food Bank” to serve the community.

1994 – January – Sent mission team to rebuild Homestead, Florida after Hurricane Andrew.

1995 – February 26th – Ground Breaking Service for new expanded sanctuary.

1995 – September 24th – Consecration Service for new expanded sanctuary.

1995 – Youth Groups renewed performances of “Live Nativity”.

1998 – Introduced second worship service in praise format.

1999 – Recognized as one of the fastest growing churches in the Conference.

2000 – Senior Youth Group went on mission trip to Hurricane Floyd ravaged Kingston, North Carolina.

2000 – Two By Two Preschool established.

2001 – New property purchased adjacent to church for future expansion.

2002 – Renovation of existing structure on new property for Church Offices.

2009 – Family Life Center dedicated.

2010 – November – Consecration of Family Life Center and Time Capsule buried.

2059 – The Body opens the Time Capsule and rejoices!